Definition of African padauk
1 : an African tree (Pterocarpus soyauxii) that yields a close-grained reddish brown wood important especially as a source of red dyestuff — compare redwood
2 : the wood of African padauk
— called also barwood
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game