African wild dognoun
variants: or less commonly African hunting dog
Definition of African wild dog
: a powerful canid (Lycaon pictus) that has a mottled coat of black, white, and reddish yellow, lives and hunts in packs, and was formerly common in sub-Saharan Africa but is now restricted to small populations in southern and eastern Africa
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game