Definition of Africa
continent of the eastern hemisphere straddling the Equator, separated from Europe by the Strait of Gibraltar, and adjoining Asia at the Sinai Peninsula area 11,677,239 square miles (30,244,049 square kilometers)
Note: Africa's largest lake is Victoria, its longest river is the Nile, and its highest point is Kibo Peak on Mount Kilimanjaro.
see also african entry 1
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game