variants: or adeno-
Definition of aden-
(Entry 1 of 2)
: gland adenine : adenoid adenovirus
Definition of Aden (Entry 2 of 2)
1 former British protectorate in southern Arabia comprising the entire southern coast of what is now Yemen; became part of People's Democratic Republic of Yemen 1967 area 112,000 square miles (291,200 square kilometers)
2 former British colony in southwestern Arabia comprising Perim Island, the city of Aden, and the surrounding area; became part of People's Democratic Republic of Yemen 1967 area 75 square miles (195 square kilometers)
3 city and port on the Gulf of Aden in southern Yemen; formerly the capital of People's Democratic Republic of Yemen and before that the capital of Aden colony and protectorate population 240,370
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game