Definition of Acmeism
: a literary movement among Russian poets in the early 20th century that was characterized by a reaction against the vagueness of symbolism and by an emphasis on clarity Acmeism, Futurism, and other movements flourished and then were silenced by the Stalin era.— A. V. Knowles, Notes and Queries, March 1993
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game