Definition of Abyssinian banana
Note: The leaves of the Abyssinian banana can reach a length of 20 feet (6 meters) and the leaf stalks are an important source of dietary starch in Africa. It was formerly classified in the same genus (Musa) as the banana.
Keep scrolling for more
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game