variants: or Abert's squirrel
Definition of Abert squirrel
: a large, chiefly tree-dwelling, dark gray squirrel (Sciurus aberti) with long tufted ears and white underparts that is found primarily in forests of ponderosa pine in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and northern Mexico Mule deer, Abert squirrels and other wildlife often appear along the trails …— Nancy Muenker, Denver Post, 2003 … the only wildlife we spotted, other than birds and lizards, was an Abert's squirrel, which shook its bushy, skunklike tail at us before scampering into the woods.— John Stanley, Arizona Republic, 2009
— called also tassel-eared squirrel
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?