-yl·i·dene | \ ˈiləˌdēn, ə̇l-\
Definition of -ylidene
: bivalent radical derived especially from a saturated hydrocarbon by removal of two hydrogen atoms from the same carbon atom or by removal of the oxygen atom of an aldehyde citrylidene —in the system adopted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry — compare -idene
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game