(it's) better (to be) safe than sorryidiom
Definition of (it's) better (to be) safe than sorry
—used to say that it is better to be careful now so that problems do not occur later on It's probably not necessary to check the figures again, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game