(I/I'll) tell you whatidiom
Definition of (I/I'll) tell you what
—used to introduce a suggestion or to emphasize a statement (I'll) Tell you what—I'll let you borrow the car if you fill it up with gas.I tell you what, I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of shoes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game