(the) cat has someone's tongueidiom
Definition of (the) cat has someone's tongue
—used to say that someone is not saying anything "You'll have to excuse him. I'm afraid the cat has his tongue tonight."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game