(it) serves (someone) rightidiom
Definition of (it) serves (someone) right
—used to say that someone who has behaved badly deserves a particular punishment, problem, etc. "I hear his wife is divorcing him." "It serves him right after the way he's treated her.""He won't even talk to me." " Serves you right for lying to him."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?