(as) dead as a doornailidiom
Definition of (as) dead as a doornail
chiefly US, informal
—used to stress that someone or something is dead The old captain was dead as a doornail. —often used figuratively The negotiations are as dead as a doornail.The deal is dead as a doornail.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game