(I/I'll) tell you whatidiom
Definition of (I/I'll) tell you what
—used to introduce a suggestion or to emphasize a statement (I'll) Tell you what—I'll let you borrow the car if you fill it up with gas.I tell you what, I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of shoes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game