win·ner noun \ˈwi-nər\
: someone or something that wins a contest, prize, etc.
: a very good or successful person or thing
sports : the final goal, point, etc., that wins a game
: one that wins: as
a : one that is successful especially through praiseworthy ability and hard work
b : a victor especially in games and sports
c : one that wins admiration
d : a shot in a court game that is not returned and that scores for the player making it
Examples of WINNER
- The winners will receive their medals shortly.
- the winners and losers of the court case
- And the winner is…the blue team!
- With seconds left on the clock, she scored the winner.
First Known Use of WINNER
Related to WINNER
- blockbuster, megahit, smash, success, supernova, hit
- bomb, bummer, bust, catastrophe, clinker, debacle (also débâcle), dud, failure, fiasco, flop, misfire, turkey, washout
Rhymes with WINNER
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up winner? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).