un·even adjective \ˌən-ˈē-vən\
: not level, flat, or smooth
: not straight or parallel
: not following a regular pattern : not the same in all parts or at all times
a : not even : not level or smooth : rugged, ragged <large uneven teeth> <uneven handwriting>
b : varying from the straight or parallel
c : not uniform : irregular <uneven combustion>
d : varying in quality <an uneven performance>
: unequal 3a <an uneven confrontation>
— un·even·ly adverb
— un·even·ness \-və(n)-nəs\ noun
Examples of UNEVEN
- His breathing was shallow and uneven.
- You should check your car's tires often for signs of uneven wear.
- an uneven distribution of wealth
- We have an uneven number of players, so we'll have to rotate.
First Known Use of UNEVEN
before 12th century
Related to UNEVEN
- broken, bumpy, coarse, irregular, jagged, lumpy, pebbly, ragged, rough, roughened, rugged, scraggy
- even, flat, level, plane, smooth
See Synonym Discussion at rough
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up uneven? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).