out·stand·ing adjective \au̇t-ˈstan-diŋ, ˈau̇t-ˌ\
: extremely good or excellent
: easy to notice especially because of being important or very good
: not yet paid
a : unpaid <left several bills outstanding>
b : continuing to exist : unresolved <a long outstanding problem in astronomy>
c of securities : publicly issued and sold
a : standing out from a group : conspicuous
b : marked by eminence and distinction
— out·stand·ing·ly \-diŋ-lē\ adverb
Examples of OUTSTANDING
- Tonight we will honor the school's most outstanding students.
- You did an outstanding job on the project.
- the outstanding quality of your work
- a wine that is outstanding in quality
- As a president, he was outstanding in many ways.
- Her novels are outstanding for their complex characters and interesting plots.
- The painting is an outstanding example of the artist's style.
- Outstanding among the menu items were the tomato soup and the swordfish.
- She had several outstanding parking tickets in her car.
- He left a balance of 50 dollars outstanding on his account.
First Known Use of OUTSTANDING
Learn More About OUTSTANDING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up outstanding? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).