ob·scu·ri·ty noun \äb-ˈskyu̇r-ə-tē, əb-\
: the state of being unknown or forgotten
: something that is difficult to understand
: the quality of being difficult to understand
: the quality or state of being obscure
Examples of OBSCURITY
- In recent years, the tradition has emerged from obscurity.
- He has been living in relative obscurity in a small town in the mountains.
- After a promising first novel, she faded into obscurity.
First Known Use of OBSCURITY
Related to OBSCURITY
- ambiguity, ambiguousness, darkness, equivocalness, equivocation, inscrutability, inscrutableness, murkiness, mysteriousness, nebulosity, nebulousness, obliqueness, obliquity, opacity, opaqueness
- clarity, clearness, obviousness, plainness
Learn More About OBSCURITY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up obscurity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).