Examples of ILLICIT
- He was arrested for selling illicit copies of the software.
- She had an illicit affair with her boss.
- The wedding is mounted in traditional Punjabi style, but underneath the formal fanfare simmer dysfunctional-family tensions, deep dark secrets, … and illicit affairs. —David Ansen, Newsweek, 4 Mar. 2002
- “Thank you, Lieutenant,” she said, bowing her head, just as she might in everyday, civilian life, and I felt suddenly illicit in her presence, as though we'd slipped out of sight of our chaperons … —Chang-rae Lee, A Gesture Life, 1999
- The companies that carry cellular … have adopted a number of monitoring techniques to detect illicit calls … —Paul Wallich, Scientific American, March 1994
Origin of ILLICIT
lawful — more at licit
First Known Use: 1506
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up illicit? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).