hon·est·ly adverb \ˈä-nəst-lē\
: without cheating or lying : in an honest way
: in a genuine way : without pretending
—used to stress that a statement is true
: in an honest manner: as
a : without cheating <counted the ballots honestly>
b : really, genuinely <was honestly scared>
c : without frills <food honestly prepared>
: to be honest : to tell the truth <honestly, I don't know>
Examples of HONESTLY
- Officials counted the votes honestly.
- The bank has always dealt honestly with me.
- I can honestly say that I have never seen that man before today.
- He spoke honestly about the mistakes he had made.
- She honestly believes that she has been mistreated.
First Known Use of HONESTLY
Learn More About HONESTLY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up honestly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).