his·tor·ic adjective \hi-ˈstȯr-ik, -ˈstär-\
: famous or important in history
: having great and lasting importance
: happening or existing in the past
: historical: as
a : famous or important in history <historic battlefields>
b : having great and lasting importance <a historic occasion>
c : known or established in the past <historic interest rates>
d : dating from or preserved from a past time or culture <historic buildings> <historic artifacts>
Examples of HISTORIC
- It's wonderful to see so many people here on this historic occasion.
- She returned safely from her historic flight into space.
- The court made a historic decision last week.
- They know of many historic volcanic eruptions in the area.
- the historic importance of the river
First Known Use of HISTORIC
Related to HISTORIC
- big, consequential, earthshaking, earth-shattering, eventful, important, major, material, meaningful, momentous, monumental, much, significant, substantial, tectonic, weighty
- inconsequential, inconsiderable, insignificant, little, minor, negligible, slight, small, trifling, trivial, unimportant
Learn More About HISTORIC
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up historic? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).