a : causing intense sorrow or distress
b : extremely trying or difficult
: producing an intense emotional reaction or response <heartbreaking beauty>
— heart·break·ing·ly \-kiŋ-lē\ adverb
Examples of HEARTBREAKING
- She wrote a heartbreaking story about the death of her grandfather.
- It was heartbreaking to know that there was nothing I could do.
- The team suffered another heartbreaking defeat.
First Known Use of HEARTBREAKING
Related to HEARTBREAKING
- depressing, dismal, drear, dreary, sad, heartrending, melancholy, mournful, pathetic, saddening, sorry, tearful, teary
- cheering, cheery, glad, happy
Rhymes with HEARTBREAKING
Learn More About HEARTBREAKING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up heartbreaking? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).