: lacking in sense, judgment, or discretion
Examples of FOOLISH
- He was wearing a foolish grin.
- She's been taking foolish risks.
- Those flashy clothes make her look foolish.
- She must feel foolish wearing those flashy clothes.
- I never thought you'd be foolish enough to believe him.
First Known Use of FOOLISH
Related to FOOLISH
- absurd, asinine, balmy, brainless, bubbleheaded, cockeyed, crackpot, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, dippy, dotty, fatuous, featherheaded, fool, half-baked, harebrained, half-witted, inept, insane, jerky, kooky (also kookie), loony (also looney), lunatic, lunkheaded, mad, nonsensical, nutty, preposterous, sappy, screwball, senseless, silly, simpleminded, stupid, tomfool, unwise, wacky (also whacky), weak-minded, witless, zany, out to lunch
- judicious, prudent, sagacious, sage, sane, sapient, sensible, sound, wise
See Synonym Discussion at simple
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up foolish? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).