em·ploy·ment noun \im-ˈplȯi-mənt\
a : activity in which one engages or is employed <seeking gainful employment>
b : an instance of such activity
: the act of employing : the state of being employed <employment of a pen in sketching>
Examples of EMPLOYMENT
- laws that have encouraged the employment of women
- I've been looking for employment in the machine trade.
- The new factory should provide employment for hundreds of workers.
- unskilled workers trying to find paid employment
- She hopes to find employment as a teacher.
- The magazine did well during the course of her employment as editor.
- Employment is at an all-time high in this part of the state.
- The city is faced with inadequate housing and a lack of employment.
First Known Use of EMPLOYMENT
Learn More About EMPLOYMENT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up employment? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).