a : the quality or state of being decent : propriety
b : conformity to standards of taste, propriety, or quality
: standard of propriety —usually used in plural
plural : conditions or services considered essential for a proper standard of living
Examples of DECENCY
- Decency, not fear of punishment, caused them to do the right thing.
- Sending aid to the victims was simply a matter of common decency.
- If you're going to be late, please have the decency to call and let me know.
- Have you no sense of decency?
- He had been taught to observe the ordinary decencies.
First Known Use of DECENCY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up decency? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).