a : commanding a high price especially because of intrinsic worth <costly gems>
b : rich, splendid
: made or done at heavy expense or sacrifice <a costly mistake>
— cost·li·ness noun
Examples of COSTLY
- We use less costly materials in our products.
- It was too costly to fix her car after the accident, so she decided to buy a new car instead.
- They won the game, but their best player was injured, so it was a costly victory.
- The decision to wait could be a costly mistake.
First Known Use of COSTLY
Related to COSTLY
- big-ticket, dear, expensive, extravagant, high, high-end, high-ticket, precious, premium, priceless, pricey (also pricy), spendy [chiefly Northwest], ultraexpensive, valuable
- cheap, inexpensive
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up costly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).