: a conclusion derived through logic : inference
: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions <the economic consequences of the war>
a : importance with respect to power to produce an effect <a mistake of no consequence>
b : social importance
Examples of CONSEQUENCE
- The slightest error can have serious consequences.
- What were the economic consequences of the war?
- The decrease in sales was a consequence of some bad publicity about the company.
- Some say many jobs will be lost as a consequence of the trade agreement.
- He weighed the consequences of making a career change.
- The style you choose is of no consequence.
First Known Use of CONSEQUENCE
Related to CONSEQUENCE
- aftereffect, aftermath, backwash, child, conclusion, effect, corollary, development, fate, fruit, issue, outcome, outgrowth, precipitate, product, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, upshot
- antecedent, causation, cause, occasion, reason
Learn More About CONSEQUENCE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up consequence? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).