as·sign·ment noun \ə-ˈsīn-mənt\
a : a position, post, or office to which one is assigned
b : a specified task or amount of work assigned or undertaken as if assigned by authority
: the transfer of property; especially : the transfer of property to be held in trust or to be used for the benefit of creditors
Examples of ASSIGNMENT
- The students were given a homework assignment.
- The reporter's assignment is to interview the candidate.
- The reporter is here on an assignment.
- The reporter is here on assignment.
- The article discusses the recent assignment of senators to some of the more powerful committees.
- her assignment to the embassy in India
- the computer's assignment of a number to each image
- She asked if she could change her seating assignment.
First Known Use of ASSIGNMENT
Learn More About ASSIGNMENT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up assignment? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).