ap·pear·ance noun \ə-ˈpir-ən(t)s\
: the way that someone or something looks
: a way of looking that is not true or real
: the action of appearing : the fact that something or someone arrives or begins to be seen
a : external show : semblance <although hostile, he preserved an appearance of neutrality>
b : outward aspect : look <had a fierce appearance>
c plural : outward indication <trying to keep up appearances>
a : a sense impression or aspect of a thing <the blue of distant hills is only an appearance>
b : the world of sensible phenomena
a : the act, action, or process of appearing
b : the presentation of oneself in court as a party to an action often through the representation of an attorney
Examples of APPEARANCE
- The general appearance of the house is quite good.
- The museum restored the painting to its original appearance.
- lotions that improve your skin's appearance and texture
- You shouldn't judge a man by his appearance.
- Have you noticed any changes in her appearance?
- He appears to be happy, but appearances can be deceptive.
- Their expensive home created a false appearance of success and happiness.
First Known Use of APPEARANCE
Related to APPEARANCE
- aspect, dress, figure, garb, look, mien, outside, presence, regard [archaic], cut of one's jib, first blush
- decamping, decampment, departing, departure, disappearance, exit, exiting, farewell, going, leave-taking, parting, quitting
ap·pear·ance noun \ə-ˈpir-ən(t)s\ (Medical Dictionary)
: the action or process of becoming evident to the senses <the sudden appearance of a rash on the body>
: the outward or visible aspect of something <a tumor with a spongy appearance>
—ap·pear \ə-ˈpi(ə)r\ intransitive verb
Learn More About APPEARANCE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up appearance? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).