1apol·o·get·ic noun \ə-ˌpä-lə-ˈje-tik\
First Known Use of APOLOGETIC
Rhymes with APOLOGETIC
: feeling or showing regret : expressing an apology
a : offered in defense or vindication <the apologetic writings of the early Christians>
b : offered by way of excuse or apology <an apologetic smile>
Examples of APOLOGETIC
- We received an apologetic letter and a full refund from the company.
- They were apologetic about the mistake.
- She seemed almost apologetic about buying a new car.
Origin of APOLOGETIC
to defend, from apo-
First Known Use: 1649
Related to APOLOGETIC
- contrite, compunctious, penitent, regretful, remorseful, repentant, rueful, sorry
- impenitent, remorseless, unapologetic, unrepentant
Learn More About APOLOGETIC
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up apologetic? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).