: the activity or work of writing books, poems, stories, etc.
: the way that you use written words to express your ideas or opinions
: books, poems, essays, letters, etc.
: the act or process of one who writes: as
a : the act or art of forming visible letters or characters; specifically : handwriting 1
b : the act or practice of literary or musical composition
: something written: as
a : letters or characters that serve as visible signs of ideas, words, or symbols
b : a letter, note, or notice used to communicate or record
c : a written composition
d : inscription
: a style or form of composition
: the occupation of a writer; especially : the profession of authorship
Examples of WRITING
- Writing usually isn't a lucrative career, but it has been very fulfilling for me.
- He teaches creative writing at the university.
- Few people nowadays care about the art of letter writing.
- The novel's plot is okay, but the writing is horrible.
- I asked a friend to critique my writing.
- Her essay was a wonderful piece of writing.
- She has a unique writing style.
- Much of the best Japanese writing has not been translated into English.
- the writings of Benjamin Franklin
- a book of selected writings on moral philosophy
First Known Use of WRITING
writing noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
System of human visual communication using signs or symbols associated by convention with units of languagemeanings or soundsand recorded on materials such as paper, stone, or clay. Its precursor was pictography. Logography, in which symbols stand for individual words, typically develops from pictography. Logography requires thousands of symbols for all possible words and names. In phonographic systems, the symbol associated with a word also stands for similar- or identical-sounding words. Phonographic systems may evolve to the point where symbols represent syllables, constituting a syllabary. An alphabet provides symbols for all the consonants and vowels.
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up writing? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).