of a color : very strong : very high in chroma
: having the appearance of vigorous life or freshness : lively <a vivid sketch>
: producing a strong or clear impression on the senses : sharp, intense; specifically : producing distinct mental images <a vivid description>
: acting clearly and vigorously <a vivid imagination>
— viv·id·ly adverb
— viv·id·ness noun
Examples of VIVID
- He gave a vivid description of the scene.
- The book includes many vivid illustrations.
- The dream was very vivid.
- She could remember the dream in vivid detail.
- The fabric was dyed a vivid red.
Origin of VIVID
to live — more at quick
First Known Use: 1634
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up vivid? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).