: a disagreement between two parts of the same legal proceeding that must be consonant
: a license to do some act contrary to the usual rule <a zoning variance>
: the square of the standard deviation
— at variance
: not in harmony or agreement
Examples of VARIANCE
- There was some variance in the results.
- We noticed a slight variance between the quality of the samples.
- He had to get a variance to add a garage on to his house.
First Known Use of VARIANCE
Related to VARIANCE
- conflict, disaccord, discordance, discordancy, disharmony, dissension (also dissention), dissent, dissidence, dissonance, disunion, disunity, division, friction, infighting, inharmony, schism, strife, discord, war, warfare
- accord, agreement, concord, concordance, harmony, peace
Learn More About VARIANCE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up variance? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).