un·hap·py adjective \-ˈha-pē\
: sad, depressed, or disappointed : not happy
: causing or involving feelings of sadness : not pleasant or joyful
: not appropriate or lucky
: not fortunate : unlucky <an unhappy coincidence>
Examples of UNHAPPY
- I can see that he's unhappy, but I don't know why.
- I've never seen her looking so unhappy.
- For three unhappy days we were all stuck in the house because of the blizzard.
- an unhappy choice of career
- The movie's hero meets an unhappy fate.
First Known Use of UNHAPPY
Related to UNHAPPY
- bad, blue, brokenhearted, cast down, crestfallen, dejected, depressed, despondent, disconsolate, doleful, down, downcast, downhearted, down in the mouth, droopy, forlorn, gloomy, glum, hangdog, heartbroken, heartsick, heartsore, heavyhearted, inconsolable, joyless, low, low-spirited, melancholic, melancholy, miserable, mournful, saddened, sorrowful, sorry, sad, woebegone, woeful, wretched
- blissful, buoyant, buoyed, cheerful, cheery, chipper, delighted, glad, gladdened, gladsome, gleeful, happy, joyful, joyous, jubilant, sunny, upbeat
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up unhappy? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).