: not ordinarily encountered : unusual <an uncommon plant>
— un·com·mon·ly adverb
— un·com·mon·ness \-mən-nəs\ noun
Examples of UNCOMMON
- It is not uncommon for people to become depressed after they retire.
- an athlete with uncommon ability
- a soldier of uncommon courage
- She is an uncommon woman.
First Known Use of UNCOMMON
Related to UNCOMMON
- aberrant, aberrated, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, especial, exceeding, extraordinaire, extraordinary, freak, odd, peculiar, phenomenal, preternatural, rare, singular, exceptional, uncustomary, unique, unusual, unwonted
- common, customary, normal, ordinary, typical, unexceptional, unextraordinary, usual
Learn More About UNCOMMON
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up uncommon? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).