: the apparent rising of the sun above the horizon; also : the accompanying atmospheric effects
: the time when the upper limb of the sun appears above the horizon as a result of the diurnal rotation of the earth
Examples of SUNRISE
- We were up before sunrise.
- We worked from sunrise to sunset.
- We watched the sunrise from the beach.
- the pink light of sunrise
First Known Use of SUNRISE
Related to SUNRISE
- aurora, cockcrow, dawning, day, daybreak, daylight, light, morn, morning, sun, dawn, sunup
- nightfall, sundown, sunset
Rhymes with SUNRISE
, crack wise
, door prize
, trim size
Sun·rise geographical name \ˈsən-ˌrīz\
city SE Florida W of Fort Lauderdale pop 84,439
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up sunrise? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).