: the place and conditions in which something happens or exists
: the time, place, and conditions in which the action of a book, movie, etc., takes place
: the rooms, painted backgrounds, furniture, etc., that are used for a scene in a movie or play
: the manner, position, or direction in which something is set
: the frame or bed in which a gem is set; also : style of mounting
a : the time, place, and circumstances in which something occurs or develops
b : the time and place of the action of a literary, dramatic, or cinematic work
c : the scenery used in a theatrical or film production
: the music composed for a text (as a poem)
: the articles of tableware for setting a place at table <two settings of sterling silver>
: a batch of eggs for incubation
Examples of SETTING
- This would be a beautiful setting for a picnic.
- He tends to be shy in social settings.
- dining in a casual setting
- The movie changes the play's setting from the late 18th century to the year 2000.
- She uses modern-day Los Angeles as the setting for her book.
- Save money by turning the temperature settings up in the summer and down in the winter.
- She just learned how to change the settings on her camera.
First Known Use of SETTING
Related to SETTING
- ambient, atmosphere, climate, clime, context, contexture, environs, medium, milieu, mise-en-scène, environment, surround, surroundings, terrain
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up setting? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).