: of, characteristic of, or suitable to learned persons : learned, academic
Examples of SCHOLARLY
- His writings have been recently given scholarly attention.
- She has a scholarly interest in music.
- a scholarly study of words and their origins
First Known Use of SCHOLARLY
Related to SCHOLARLY
- erudite, knowledgeable, learned, lettered, literate, educated, well-read
- benighted, dark, ignorant, illiterate, uneducated, unlearned, unlettered, unscholarly
Learn More About SCHOLARLY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up scholarly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).