: marked by well-organized laws and rules about how people behave with each other
: polite, reasonable, and respectful
: pleasant and comfortable
: characteristic of a state of civilization <civilized society>; especially : characterized by taste, refinement, or restraint
Examples of CIVILIZED
- A civilized society must respond to crime with fairness and justice.
- Stop yelling. We have to be more civilized about this.
- Try to act like a civilized human being!
- a civilized way to spend the evening
First Known Use of CIVILIZED
Related to CIVILIZED
- accomplished, cultivated, couth, cultured, genteel, polished, refined
- barbaric, barbarous, philistine, uncivilized, uncultured, ungenteel, unpolished, unrefined
Learn More About CIVILIZED
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up civilized? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).