: almost not at all
: by only a small amount of time, space, etc.
: certainly not
a : by a narrow margin : only just <had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open — Agnes S. Turnbull>
b : almost not <could scarcely see for the fog>
a : certainly not <could scarcely interfere>
b : probably not <there could scarcely have been found a leader better equipped — V. L. Parrington>
Examples of SCARCELY
- He could scarcely control his joy.
- Scarcely a day goes by when they don't see or talk to each other.
- He had scarcely enough money.
- This is scarcely a time to laugh.
- I could scarcely tell them they were wrong.
First Known Use of SCARCELY
Learn More About SCARCELY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up scarcely? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).