re·strict verb \ri-ˈstrikt\
: to limit the amount or range of (something)
: to prevent (someone) from doing something
: to allow (someone) to only have or do a particular thing
Examples of RESTRICT
- Her eye problem restricts her reading.
- She was told to restrict the amount of salt she uses.
- The new law restricts smoking in public places.
- They have accused the government of trying to restrict free speech.
- They say the government is trying to restrict them from speaking out.
Origin of RESTRICT
past participle of restringere
First Known Use: 1535
Rhymes with RESTRICT
Learn More About RESTRICT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up restrict? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).