: the act of reading something
: the activity of reading a book, magazine, etc.
: a book, article, etc., that is being read or that is intended to be read
a : material read or for reading
b : extent of material read
a : a particular version
b : data indicated by an instrument
a : a particular interpretation of something (as a law)
b : a particular performance of something (as a musical work)
: an indication of a certain state of affairs <a study to get some reading of shoppers' preferences>
Examples of READING
- The family attended the reading of her will.
- The speech ended with a reading from his latest novel.
- After several readings, I finally understood the meaning of the poem.
- He needs help in reading.
- The teacher gave us a list of books for further reading on the subject.
- He has done a lot of reading on this subject.
- The reading for today is about human cloning.
- Moby-Dick is required reading for any scholar of 19th-century American literature.
- The pastor selected a reading for tonight's service.
First Known Use of READING
before 12th century
Read·ing geographical name \ˈre-diŋ\
town E Massachusetts N of Boston pop 24,747
city SE Pennsylvania on the Schuylkill pop 88,082
town S England ∗ of Berkshire pop 122,600
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up reading? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).