: unreasonably burdensome or severe <oppressive legislation>
: overwhelming or depressing to the spirit or senses <an oppressive climate>
— op·pres·sive·ly adverb
— op·pres·sive·ness noun
Examples of OPPRESSIVE
- The country is ruled by an oppressive regime.
- I think these laws are oppressive.
- This region suffers from oppressive heat in the summer months.
- The situation was extremely tense; no one said a word, and the silence was oppressive.
First Known Use of OPPRESSIVE
Related to OPPRESSIVE
- bitter, brutal, burdensome, cruel, excruciating, grievous, grim, hard, hardhanded, heavy, inhuman, murderous, onerous, harsh, rough, rugged, searing, severe, stiff, tough, trying
- easy, light, soft
Rhymes with OPPRESSIVE
Learn More About OPPRESSIVE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up oppressive? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).