open house noun
: an event in which an organization (such as a school or company) invites the public to visit in order to see the things that happen there
: an event in which anyone who is interested in buying a particular house, apartment, etc., is invited to go inside and look at it
: a home or other place in which guests or visitors are welcome
: ready and usually informal hospitality or entertainment for all comers
: a house or apartment open for inspection especially by prospective buyers or tenants
Examples of OPEN HOUSE
- Westside High School will host an open house from 3 to 7 p.m. today, and all parents are invited to attend.
- colleges holding open houses for prospective students
- We held an open house last week in the hopes that someone would offer to buy our house.
- They kept open house, and in the evenings neighbors would stop by to talk or play music.
- They always kept an open house for visitors.
First Known Use of OPEN HOUSE
Rhymes with OPEN HOUSE
, bawdy house
, body louse
, cat and mouse
, country house
, halfway house
, jumping mouse
, manor house
, Mickey Mouse
, on the house
, opera house
, pocket mouse
, shotgun house
, sporting house
, station house
, sucking louse
, tower house
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up open house? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).