oc·curredoc·cur·ring \-ˈkər-iŋ, -ˈkə-riŋ\
: to be found or met with : appear
: to come into existence : happen
: to come to mind <an idea that has occurred to me>
Examples of OCCUR
- The event is scheduled to occur at noon tomorrow.
- No one was ready for what was about to occur.
- There's a chance that a similar event will occur in the future.
- The disease tends to occur in children under the age of five.
- The plant occurs naturally throughout South America.
Origin of OCCUR
in the way + currere
to run — more at ob-
First Known Use: 1534
Related to OCCUR
- be, befall, betide, chance, come, come about, come down, come off, cook, do, go down [slang], go on, hap, happen, pass, transpire
Rhymes with OCCUR
, Big Sur
, du jour
, white fir
Next Word in the Dictionary: occurrencePrevious Word in the Dictionary: occupyAll Words Near: occur
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up occur? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).