verb nat·u·ral·ize \ˈna-chə-rə-ˌlīz, ˈnach-rə-\
: to allow (someone who was born in a different country) to become a new citizen
: to cause (a plant or animal from another place) to begin to grow and live in a new area
: to confer the rights of a national on; especially : to admit to citizenship
: to introduce into common use or into the vernacular
: to bring into conformity with nature
: to cause (as a plant) to become established as if native
defined for English-language learners
Examples of NATURALIZE
- The government refused to naturalize them without documentation.
- naturalized citizens of the U.S.
- Several Asian fish have become naturalized in these lakes.
- Before you naturalize bulbs in your lawn, fertilize well.
- These daisies naturalize well in the Pacific Northwest.
First Known Use of NATURALIZE
: to become or allow to become a citizen
: to become or cause to become established as if native <naturalize a plant>
Learn More About NATURALIZE