: to fail to understand
: to interpret incorrectly
Examples of MISUNDERSTAND
- Don't misunderstand me—I'm not criticizing your decision.
- He feels that the critics have completely misunderstood his movies.
- She expressed herself in clear terms that no one could misunderstand.
First Known Use of MISUNDERSTAND
Related to MISUNDERSTAND
- misapprehend, misconstrue, misinterpret, misknow, misperceive, misread, miss, mistake
- appreciate, apprehend, catch, comprehend, conceive, fathom, get, grasp, grok, know, make out, penetrate, perceive, savvy, see, seize, take in, understand
Rhymes with MISUNDERSTAND
, back of one's hand
, digestive gland
, endocrine gland
, Franz Josef Land
, mammary gland
, pineal gland
, to beat the band
Learn More About MISUNDERSTAND
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up misunderstand? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).