: having an identifying mark
\or ˈmär-kəd\ : having a distinctive or emphasized character <has a marked drawl>
a : enjoying fame or notoriety
b : being an object of attack, suspicion, or vengeance
Examples of MARKED
- He speaks with a marked accent.
- There was a marked change in her attitude.
- There's been a marked improvement in the weather.
First Known Use of MARKED
before 12th century
Related to MARKED
- arresting, bodacious, bold, brilliant, catchy, commanding, conspicuous, dramatic, emphatic, eye-catching, flamboyant, grabby, kenspeckle [chiefly Scottish], noticeable, noisy, prominent, pronounced, remarkable, showy, splashy, striking
- inconspicuous, unemphatic, unflamboyant, unnoticeable, unobtrusive, unremarkable, unshowy
Next Word in the Dictionary: markerPrevious Word in the Dictionary: mark downAll Words Near: marked
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up marked? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).