length·enedlength·en·ing \ˈleŋ(k)th-niŋ, ˈlen(t)th-; ˈleŋ(k)-thə-, ˈlen(t)-\
Examples of LENGTHEN
- The days lengthened with the approach of spring.
- Proper care will lengthen the life of the engine.
- lengthen a pair of trousers
First Known Use of LENGTHEN
Related to LENGTHEN
- drag (out), draw out, elongate, extend, outstretch, prolong, protract, stretch
- abbreviate, abridge, curtail, cut, cut back, shorten
See Synonym Discussion at extend
Learn More About LENGTHEN
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up lengthen? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).