in·ven·tion noun \in-ˈven(t)-shən\
a : something invented: as (1) : a product of the imagination; especially : a false conception (2) : a device, contrivance, or process originated after study and experiment
b : a short keyboard composition featuring two- or three-part counterpoint
Examples of INVENTION
- The light bulb was one of the most important inventions of the 19th century.
- The stories he told about his military service were just inventions.
- His explanation was pure invention.
- Parts of the movie were accurate, but much of it was invention.
- the invention of a new product
- the invention of a false story
- an artist with exceptional powers of invention
First Known Use of INVENTION
Learn More About INVENTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up invention? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).